South Street Seaport
The South Street Seaport is a preserved New York seaport on the East River that peaked as a commercial center in the early 1800s, and is now home to a variety of shops, restaurants and boats – of course.
About the South Street Seaport NYC: The South Street Seaport is a historic area in the New York City, located where Fulton Street meets the East River, and adjacent to the Financial District. The Seaport is a designated historic district, distinct from the neighboring Financial District. It features some of the oldest architecture in downtown Manhattan, and includes the largest concentration of restored early 19th-century commercial buildings in the city. This includes renovated original mercantile buildings, renovated sailing ships, the former Fulton Fish Market, and modern tourist malls featuring food, shopping and nightlife, with a view of the Brooklyn Bridge. At the entrance to the Seaport is the Titanic Memorial lighthouse. By the late-1950s, the old Ward Line docks (Pier 15, 16, and part of 17) were mostly vacant. The South Street Seaport Museum was founded in 1967 by Peter and Norma Stanford. When originally opened as a museum, the focus of the Seaport Museum conservation was to be an educational historic site, with shops mostly operating as reproductions of working environments found during the Seaport’s heyday, 1820 to 1860. Designated by Congress in 1998 as one of several museums, which together make up “America’s National Maritime Museum”, South Street Seaport Museum sits in a 12 square-block historic district that is the site of the original port of New York City. The Museum has over 30,000 square feet of exhibition space and educational facilities. It houses exhibition galleries, a working 19th-century print shop, an archeology museum, a maritime library, a craft center, a marine life conservation lab, and the largest privately owned fleet of historic ships in the country. Included in this fleet are: Peking, a 1911, four-masted barque; Wavertree, an 1885, fully rigged cargo ship; Pioneer, an 1885 schooner; Lettie G. Howard, an 1893 schooner; Ambrose, a 1908 lightship; Helen McAllister, a 1900 tugboat; W.O. Decker, a 1930 tugboat; and Marion M., a 1932 chandlery lighter.
- Fulton Street at South Street, New York, NY 10038